Senior Systems Engineer
Reports to: VP/COO
FLSA Status: Full Time, Regular, Salary, Exempt, At-Will
Who We Are:
LaunchPoint Electric Propulsion Solutions, Inc. is an aerospace power generation and electric propulsion design company that is committed to hiring the very best people to join our team. We are passionately focused on designing and manufacturing the best motor and controller solutions for aerospace, thermal management, power generation, and defense. We specialize in gensets, motors and controllers to enable efficient, power dense, reliable, lightweight hybrid-electric and full-electric propulsion solutions.
Come join us in a rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a company that is developing a product destined to impact aerospace and advanced air mobility.
Senior Systems Engineer
LaunchPoint EPS is seeking a talented Senior Systems Engineer to join our engineering team that is working on the continuing development of our electric propulsion and power generation systems for aerospace and defense.
In this position you will integrate multiple components to create electric power generation and propulsion systems. You will specify the software, electrical, and mechanical interfaces. This hands-on role includes designing, implementing, and testing application-specific software to meet quality and regulatory requirements. Occasional travel to customer sites for technical and sales support is common.
Additionally, the Senior Systems Engineer works with multidisciplinary teams to tune, calibrate and characterize motor/generator controllers, specifically establishing and documenting the performance of these controllers when used with LaunchPoint electric machines.
What You’ll Do
• Lead specific product design efforts from concept to production
• Write detailed specifications, architecture and design documentation, as well as test plans and procedures
• Configure and tune motor controllers
• Be a subject-matter expert for co-workers and customers, for standards and functional safety regulations of electric machines and controllers
• Provide Product management and other appropriate groups within the company with data relative to market requirements, product shortcomings, competition, warranty problems and any other information obtained through customer contact
• Mentor and train other engineers
• Organize and lead cross-functional and cross-company teams to design and implement vehicle systems from concept to production
• Help estimate resources and timing required to design and develop hardware and/or software needed to implement vehicle system designs
• Recognize opportunities for improvements to processes and products
• Follow corporate operating policies
• Assist other departments
• All other duties as assigned
What You Need
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline, plus 7+ years related experience
• Experience in understanding usage and application of electronic systems
• Solid working knowledge of electric machine design, applications, and manufacture
• Solid working knowledge of motor/generator controller design, applications, and manufacture
• Familiarity with PCB layout and design
• Ability to create requirements documentation in written, verbal, diagram and schedule form
• Significant experience in application and/or design of control systems and/or control systems components
• Demonstrated knowledge of good engineering practices
• Effective verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills
• Must be self-motivated and manage time well. Project management experience is a plus
• Accuracy and good organizational skills
• Solid working knowledge of SOLIDWORKS CAD design tools
• Experience with Matlab/Simulink is a plus
Highly Desirable Competencies
• Technical leadership experience
• Must be able to architect, design, write, and maintain C/C++ code
• Experience with thermal design considerations and electronics packaging
• Patents and publications
• Industry experience in Aerospace or Defense
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment.
LaunchPoint is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the base of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.