Mechanical Engineer I
Reports to: VP of Engineering
FLSA Status: Salary, Full Time, On-Site
Who We Are:
LaunchPoint Electric Propulsion Solutions, Inc. is an aerospace power generation and electric propulsion design company that is committed to hiring the very best people to join our team. We are passionately focused on designing and manufacturing the best motor and controller solutions for aerospace, thermal management, power generation, and defense. We specialize in gensets, motors and controllers to enable efficient, power dense, reliable, lightweight hybrid-electric and full-electric propulsion solutions.
Come join us in a rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a product destined to impact aerospace and advanced air mobility.
Mechanical Engineer I
LaunchPoint EPS is seeking a multidisciplined and self-motivated Mechanical Engineer I (ME I) to join our team in Goleta, CA. The ME I will assist in product development as well as R&D projects.
The successful candidate will be supporting a cross-functional team that may include other Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, Machinists and Assembly Technicians. Contributors will be expected to come up with innovative design solutions to electro-mechanical structures design, electric machine design, electrical packaging, thermal and structural issues while adhering to aerospace and MIL environmental constraints. They may also assist in transitioning programs to production, performing tasks such as troubleshooting build issues, working with suppliers, developing production tooling, and developing work instructions.
What You’ll Do
• Primary responsibility is to provide mechanical engineering support for company projects
• First principles, physics-based thinker and problem solver able to handle problems of varied scope and complexity
• Demonstrate strong technical aptitude, excellent communication, and creativity in mechanical design and engineering analysis
• Design, develop, modify, and evaluate rugged electric machines and controllers for use in aerospace applications
• Determine design approaches, assumptions, and parameters
• Create 3D CAD models of components and assemblies
• Create and/or review detailed engineering drawing packages for manufacturing
• Perform structural and thermal analysis and test using FEA and other tools
• Support prototype and first article New Product Introduction (NPI) builds
• Interface with customers and vendors to ensure product/component performance to customer specifications and to appropriate standards
• Coordinate with suppliers, customers, and integrated product teams
• All other duties as assigned by the VP of Engineering
• Occasional travel may be required
What You Need
• BSME Degree or equivalent work experience and degree
• 1 to 3 years’ experience
• Advanced working knowledge of SOLIDWORKS CAD Software
• Advanced working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Familiarity and operational understanding of GD&T principles
• Familiarity and operational understanding of mechanical FEA using SOLIDWORKS Simulation and/or ANSYS Mechanical Workbench FEA software
• Familiarity and operational understanding of electric motors, generators, motion control electronics, and power electronics
• Advanced knowledge of electro-mechanical system test, test equipment theory, operation, and maintenance
• Experience with complex assemblies including electric machines, PCBAs, harnessing, flexible assemblies, and electronics enclosures
• Familiarity with AS9100 Quality Management Systems (QMS)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color, distance, and close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Salary and Pay Transparency
Salary range for this position is between $60,100 and $98,800. Base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, education, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and all applicable company benefits.
The salary range and/or hourly pay rate listed is a good faith determination of potential base compensation that may be offered to a successful applicant for this position at the time of this job posting and may be modified in the future.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment.
LaunchPoint is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the base of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
LaunchPoint adheres to all COVID guidelines as required.
LaunchPoint is a Drug Free Workplace where all applicants and employees are subject to drug-testing when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.