Electrical Engineer III
Reports to: VP of Engineering
FLSA Status: Full Time, Regular, Salary, Exempt, At-Will
Who We Are:
LaunchPoint Electric Propulsion Solutions, Inc. is an aerospace power generation and electric propulsion design company that is committed to hiring the very best people to join our team. We are passionately focused on designing and manufacturing the best motor and controller solutions for aerospace, thermal management, power generation, and defense. We specialize in gensets, motors and controllers to enable efficient, power dense, reliable, lightweight hybrid-electric and full-electric propulsion solutions.
Come join us in a rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a product destined to impact aerospace and advanced air mobility.
Electrical Engineer III
LaunchPoint EPS is seeking a talented Electronics Hardware Design Engineer to join our engineering team that is working on the continuing development of our power electronics product line. LaunchPoint provides advanced electric and hybrid-electric propulsion and power generation systems to the Aerospace and Defense markets.
Job duties include, but are not limited to: The Electronics Hardware Design Engineer provides expertise to plan and deliver electronic designs through the entire integration and verification process, qualifying all requirements up to the system level. You will collaborate with multidisciplined project teams on the electrical designs, write and review test plans, design test benches and drive the integration process from pre-integration module level through system level verification.
What You’ll Do
• Develop power electronics and systems using digital control
• Design circuits using OrCAD designer
• Design PCBs and complete PCB layouts using OrCAD designer
• Develop electronics packaging solutions for complex power electric boards
• Analyze controller/power converter solutions for permanent magnet electric machines
• Perform detailed system analyses to evaluate power semiconductor devices for target applications
• Define power semiconductors, optimize gate drivers and busbar designs
• Perform high voltage (up to 1,000 V) and high current (up to 1,000 A) experiments
• Validate the performance of the prototype for finalization of product
• Provide engineering support to production
• Assist in planning and testing new products for required compliance
• Document design reports, test results, and failure analysis
• Actively contribute to the company’s continual improvement of internal processes
What You Need
• BS in Electrical Engineering with 3+ years of industry experience in electronics hardware design
• In-depth understanding and working knowledge of switching power converters
• Must be able to develop concepts and product designs that are on the cutting edge of technology in the areas of high current, high power (> 200 kW), low voltage, high efficiency/density, converter designs
• Have the ability to design AC-DC and DC-DC Converters
• Must be able to move from concept to architecture to design
• Have in depth knowledge of multiple conversion topologies (flyback, forward, push-pull, etc.) and the ability to simulate and model designs
• Familiarity with EDA tools
• Knowledge of PSPICE simulation tools
• Knowledge of OrCAD and Altium design tools
• Know how to develop test plans, procedures, and test solutions
• Understanding and working knowledge and characteristics of magnetics (including inductor/transformer modeling), magnetization inductance, magnetization current, leakage inductance, intra-winding and inter-winding capacitance, self-resonant frequency, characteristics and limitations of magnetic cores, core saturation, core loss, high frequency losses, core reset, winding techniques for optimization of desired magnetics, and design of current transformers
Highly Desirable Competencies
To excel in this position, an individual would benefit from the following competencies:
• Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) basics
• Electric power component procurement familiarity
• Printed circuit board manufacture, assembly and test processes
• Metallic and plastic materials machining processes
• Finish coating materials and processes
• Technical leadership experience
• Patents and publications
• Industry experience in Aerospace or Defense
Salary and Pay Transparency
Salary range for this position is between $87,000 and $145,000. Base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, education, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and all applicable company benefits.
The salary range and/or hourly pay rate listed is a good faith determination of potential base compensation that may be offered to a successful applicant for this position at the time of this job posting and may be modified in the future.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment.
LaunchPoint is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the base of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.